Friday, December 21, 2007

Getting the Dirty out of Laundry

If you asked me my single largest task these days (other than mommying the kids) my answer would hands down be laundry. At three, my youngest daughter is full tilt into the multiple wardrobe changes a day, either because the outfit got "messed up" (dirty) or because a new idea/mood has come over her.

So laundry was one of the first things I started investigating as an area to improve our green. Many people advocated washing in cold water to save energy. My concern with this was could cold water get out all the stains my kids got on their clothes? The answer---after many different trials---was not as well as warm water. So I continue to wash the kids' clothes in warm water with a cold rinse. My rationalization consolation is that I have a low water energy efficient washer.

However, cold water works fine for my clothes and most of my husbands. Some of his things have to go in with the kids. As an architect who is frequently at the construction site, he can get as dirty if not more so than the kids.

I did switch detergents. When I bought my washer and dryer, I got a year's worth of free laundry soap. Tide. I think Tide is fine, but I think Method is better. About.com's Housekeeping guide gave it four and a half out of five stars and explained
Method laundry detergent takes up less space in your home and accomplishes the same cleaning power. This laundry detergent contains active enzymes and allows stains and soil to be broken down. The laundry detergent from Method is fresh and leaves clothing smelling great. Method doesn't contain phosphates. It is biodegradable and is never tested on animals.

It's a safer product to use---earth, animal and human friendly---and it works better.

These are the ingredients:

blend of naturally derived and biodegradable surfactants
corn alcohol
glycerin
potassium hydrate
non-toxic solvent
sodium borate
natural enzymes
biodegradable brightening agent
fragrance oil blend
preservative (under 0.1%)
color
purified water

Less water needed to dilute, less packaging required so less for landfills, safer ingredients, no animal testing and excellent cleaning ability is a perfect match for us. Now I just need to convince my daughter one outfit per day is okay, and hope she doesn't notice that I keep slipping the "barely worn" things back into her closet.

I also switched to Method dryer sheets. Many people tell me dryer sheets are unnecessary and maybe one day I'll take that step, but in the meantime, these dryer sheets don't emit toxins and are earth-planet-and human friendly too. They don't use animal tallow.

Take a look at your laundry and the detergent and dryer sheets you use and see what improvements you can make.

As a postscript to this, I caught a commercial on television about Tide and its campaign Loads of Hope. Tide sends an 18-wheeler filled with front-loader washing machines and dryers to disaster areas to wash laundry for displaced people. They washed thousands of loads for Katrina affected people, and are now in California washing for people displaced by the fire.

On the commercial, grateful recipients rave about how great Tide is and how much it means to them to have clean clothes. I can appreciate that sentiment.

The way you help is by purchasing a vintage Tide t-shirt. The Web site says all proceeds go to helping families affected by disaster.

It sounds good but I can't help but recall the breast cancer bracelets and how much of that money actually went to breast cancer.

I tried to do some research but didn't hit the right channels. Does anyone know how effective this campaign is? Does the money go to the washing program or to the people to use to rebuild? Or both? Many thanks for any information.

cross-posted at Moms Speak Up

Copyright 2007 Julie Pippert
Also blogging at:
Using My Words
Julie Pippert REVIEWS: Get a real opinion about BOOKS, MUSIC and MORE
Julie Pippert RECOMMENDS: A real opinion about HELPFUL and TIME-SAVING products
Moms Speak Up: Talking about the environment, dangerous imports, health care, food safety, media and marketing, education, politics and many other hot topics of concern.

8 comments:

Kyla said...

I've wondered about the Method detergent. We are always reluctant to just jump in and switch, so this is helpful.

Do you know how it is in regard to allergies? BubTar has a propensity for breaking out in a rash with some detergents. Oh the joy of tracking down and rewashing several loads of CLEAN clothes because of an allergic skin reaction.

Michele said...

Great minds must think alike because I recently started changing out all of my cleaning products ... after the miscarriage. I know my doctor said bleach had nothing to do with it but I'm not so sure. Anyway, I had been using Shaklee vitamins for years so I tried their cleaning products ... also all natural ... and I've been really happy with them. The one problem I have with their laundry detergent is that it doesn't include anything that will remove spots so if you do have stains, you have to use a different product in addition to the detergent. That's a bit of a pain for me but I'm doing it because I really want to have a Green house.

Julie Pippert said...

Kyla, they have the Free and Clear variety. Check and see if it is hypoallergenic. I would imagine mainly being free of harsh chemicals and oils and fragrance it would be okay, but I don't know what he's sensitive to.

***

Michele, I am reluctant to believe doctors when they utterly dismiss environmental influences. What they mean is "I don't know and don't feel guilty or blame yourself, sometimes these things just happen.

What they say is, "No no that's not a factor."

My mom uses Shaklee. I don't care for the laundry products though. But they are good products.

Biddy said...

my mother always insisted on using tide when i was growing up, she still does. however, i've found that tide has ruined entirely too many clothes of mine, leaving spots that look like giant grease stains (that weren't there when the clothes went in the washer). I switched to gain after i moved out and boy oh boy do i love it, but i'll give method a try! sounds like a simple way to make a difference!

Lauren said...

I've recently tried dropps: love it (them?)! Very little packaging...very little detergent. I'll have to try Method.

Mimi-n-Moe's Mom said...

I have ordered charlie's on line...they have free shipping. Several of my friends recommend it, so i figured i'd give it a shot! several of my friends have kiddos with allergies and are prone to gt rashes, but have had no problems with this detergent...

Melissa said...

Oh I should try Method

Unknown said...

新竹維納斯婚禮錄影,動態錄影,結婚錄影,迎娶,宴客 0955707040
新竹,苗栗,桃園,台北,台中,高雄,彰化,花蓮 服務全國

幸福、回憶、感動 維納斯婚禮錄影工作室
維納斯婚禮錄影所為您打造的結婚錄影,再回頭看當初結婚的場景時,一樣感動落淚,又哭又笑
維納斯婚禮錄影工作室具有專業的設計背景,讓您的婚禮影片不僅只有單單的錄影
大雄將會新人的需求進一步的溝通,在專案的每個階段都會詢問新人的意見
維納斯婚禮錄影將以全職服務每一對新人,讓每一對新人都能照顧到

新竹維納斯婚禮錄影,動態錄影,結婚錄影,0955707040 大雄
預約專線:0955-707040(親零親‧林志玲)—大雄(Vincent)
官方作品集:http://blog.yam.com/venuswedding
e-Mail:vincenterin1107@gmail.com
無名部落:http://www.wretch.cc/blog/venusmerry
website:http://venuswedding.yolasite.com/